What is your idea of discipleship? How do you make sure that you are following Jesus?
God picked Jeroboam to be king over Israel, but he led them away from God. He started worshiping other gods. How do you make sure that you are following Jesus and not yourself, or your own ideas?
I need to walk in honesty with God and ask Him to show me where I’m messing up. Then I need to hear His voice.
Here are some things I do:
- Spend time in the Word and with people who will lead me closer to Him.
- Take time to get away until I hear what His voice:
- Physically – take a few hours to turn off all electronics and go for a walk.
- Mentally – just read and study the Bible until I hear what He is saying.
- Spiritually – fast and pray throughout a day until I have heard His voice.
John 10:27 says “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.” My goal is to do this daily. Some days I don’t make it, but I can really tell the difference.
What about you? What do you do to listen for God’s voice?