Saul (Paul) snuck from the house in the dark of night. Ahead of him, friends led the way to the house on the wall.
Just days before, he was envoy of the powerful Jerusalem Pharasees. The Jews he’d come to support now had a hit out on his life. His only hope lay in the hands of the men and women he’d come to imprison, and if need be, kill.
In the wall house, the Jesus-believers paused to pray.
“Lord, anoint brother Saul. You have shown yourself to him, now use him to tell others the good news.”
“I pray in Jesus’ name that brother Saul would be safe.”
Around the room they went, each praying in turn, and privately at the same time. Then it was time to leave.
The women of the house had a giant basket, used for storage and laundry. The believers tied the top together after Saul sat in it. As a single unit, they hefted him through the window and down the wall.
In the quiet of the night, amidst all the wildlife sounds, Saul’s basket thumped to the ground. Quickly, he slipped out of the basket and watched it ascend into the night. Alone, Saul began to walk the long road back to Jerusalem. (See Acts 9)
Do you feel God has called you? Are you trying to figure out what He wants you to do next? Do you feel pressed in and pursued from all sides? Here is what we can learn from this lesson from the Apostle Paul’s life:
- When you take a stand, some people won’t like it.
- People’s true colors come out when they disagree with you. These same men who sought to kill Paul would have fawned over him had he rode into town with his intended purpose – to kill and imprison Christians.
- You aren’t alone. Paul was not liked by the Jews, but neither were the Christians. He found refuge and solace in their friendship.
- God will provide a way out.
- You need other people. God didn’t call Paul and then show him how to go it alone. First, he had him dependent on the Christians in Damascus. Later, he would be discipled and encouraged by Barnabas. Always, he would need the good will of other Christians to get the Message out.
- God’s calling is a great adventure. Either jump in the basket and enjoy the ride, or hide and watch other people accomplish your dreams.